The Star Ruby
Part of the Magick in Theory & Practice series.
The Star Ruby is a ritual written by Aleister Crowley who described it as a “new and more elaborate version of the Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram.” It is a Class D document (official ritual) of the A.'.A.'.
|Table of contents|
It first appeared in print with the publication of The Book of Lies in 1913 e.v. Disciples at the Abbey of Thelema in Cefalu performed the ritual as part of their daily practices, along with Will and Liber Resh. The ritual was later modified somewhat and released in 1929 e.v. as an appendix of Magick in Theory and Practice (Magick, Book 4, Part III).
Built up from the traditional Lesser Pentagram Ritual of the Golden Dawn, while similar in some aspects, the Star Ruby also has many significant differences in its structure; for example, using Greek instead of Hebrew intonations; similarly, while its predecessor is suitable for both invoking and banishing elemental forces, the Star Ruby is exclusively a banishing ritual.
Current Version - Liber ABA, Book 4: Magic in Theory and Practice - 1929 e.v.
- Facing East, in the centre, draw deep deep deep thy breath closing thy mouth with thy right forefinger prest against thy lower lip. Then dashing down the hand with a great sweep back and out, expelling forcibly thy breath, cry
- APO PANTOS KAKODAIMONOS. ("Away every evil spirit")
- With the same forefinger touch thy forehead, and say SOI, ("thy")
- thy member, and say O PHALLE, ("phallus")
- thy right shoulder, and say ISCHUROS, ("mighty")
- thy left shoulder, and say EUCHARISTOS; ("beneficient")
- then clasp thine hands, locking the fingers, and cry IAO.
- Advance to the East.
- Imagine strongly a Pentagram, aright, in thy forehead. Drawing the hands to the eyes, fling it forth, making the sign of Horus
- and roar THERION.
- Retire thine hand in the sign of Hoor-paar-Kraat. (MTP pg 616 fig. 34b | Ritual Signs - Sign of Silence (http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Ritual_Signs) 0=0)
- Go round to the North and repeat; but say NUIT.
- Go round to the West and repeat; but whisper BABALON.
- Go round to the South and repeat; but bellow HADIT.
- Completing the circle widdershins, retire to the centre and raise thy voice in the Paian, with these words IO PAN, with the signs of N.O.X. (MTP pg. 617 figures 34 l,m,n,o,p 6=5 through 8=3 in order)
- Extend the arms in the form of a Tau (MTP pg. 617 figures 34h | Ritual Signs of LVX - Osiris Slain (http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Ritual_Signs) 5=6) and say low but clear:
- PRO MOU IUNGES
- OPICHO MOU TELETARCHAI
- EPI DEXIA CHUNOCHES
- EPARISTERA DAIMONOS
- PHEG EI GAR PERI MOU O ASTER TON PENTE
- KAI EN TEI STELEI O ASTER TON EX ESTEXE.
- ("Before me the Iynges, behind me the Teletarch(es), on my right hand the Synoches, on my left the daemons,
- for about me flame the Star of Five and in the pillar stands the Star of Six.")
- Repeat the Cross Qabalistic, as above, and end as thou didst begin.
- '*' 25 is the square of 5, and the Pentagram has the red colour of Geburah. The chapter is a new and more elaborate version of the Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. It would be improper to comment further upon an official ritual of the A.'.A.'..
- (footnote to the word "PHALLE") "The secret sense of these words is to be sought in the numeration thereof."
Original version - Book of Lies - 1913 e.v.
- In Crowley's The Book of Lies (#25), the ritual is essentially the same exept that in place of THERION, NUIT, BABALON, & HADIT, the text had (in Greek) CHAOS, BABALON, EROS, & PSYCHE (respectively).
Crowley on The Star Ruby
- From Magick Ch. 13:
- “It is usually sufficient to perform a general banishing, and to rely upon the aid of the guardians invoked. Let the banishing therefore be short, but in no wise slurred—for it is useful as it tends to produce the proper attitutude of mind for the invocations.”
Explication--Capella 00:00, 6 Dec 2015 (UTC)
On the Opening God Form
- When you see the right fore finger against the lower lip, this suggests this section of the ritual is done in God Form. Harpocrates is indicated. Think of this as Harpocrates giving the command for the evil spirits to leave, and at the same time, setting the intention of the ritual which is used solely to banish and never to invoke.
On the Cross Qabalistic
- Obviously similar to the standard QBL, however, Greek.
- Establishing the Tree of Life in the Aura
- Note: This is also done at the end of the ritual as per the last line of the ritual. See Observations and Critique section below for more details.
On the IAO Formula
- Please see MTP Chapter V, The Formula of I.A.O. (http://hermetic.com/crowley/book-4/chap5.html)
- This is different from the LBRP which is Deosil.
- No further comment on why widdershins.
On The Divine Names, Pentagrams, and Elemental Directions
- See Observations and Critique below.
On the Signs of N.O.X. (http://www.thelemapedia.org/index.php/Ritual_Signs)
- A footnote in the Star Ruby merely says "See Figure 34l-p, p 617."
- On pages 616-617, the various signs are placed in order where they fall on the tree of life.
- The N.O.X. signs take one specifically from Geburah to Chesed, across the Abyss, and to Binah.
On the Legendary order of Beings (Greek): Iynges, Synoches, Teletarches and Daemones
The following from Sabazius (http://www.hermetic.com/sabazius/starruby_rit.htm) - footnote #6
- "The Iynges (singular "Iynx"), Synoches, Teletarches and Daemones are divine principles from the Second Order of the emanationist hierarchy of late Neoplatonism, based on the Chaldean Oracles of Zoroaster. Their position in the Neoplatonist hierarchy is intermediate between the "intelligible" world, or world of ideation, and the "sensible" world, or world of perception. Their functions are, respectively, as "initiators," "maintainers," "perfectors," and "executors" of the Divine Creative Impulse which originates in the intelligible world and ultimately manifests in the sensible world. Further information on them may be found in the published editions of the Chaldean Oracles edited by W. Wynn Wescott and G.R.S. Mead, and in the works of Proclus, Damascius, Michael Psellus, George Gemistos Plethon, and other late Neoplatonist philosophers." - Sabazius (http://www.hermetic.com/sabazius/starruby_rit.htm)
The following with input from the Chaldaean Oracles of Zoroaster (http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/oraclez.htm), Westcott/Aude
- "The Second Order of the Platonist philosophy was the "Intelligible and Intellectual Triad." Among the Chaldæans this order includes the Iynges, Synoches and Teletarchs. " (The 3 alchemical elements, fire, water, air)  (http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/oraclez.htm)
- PRO MOU (Before me the) YUNGES (Iynges) - Birds (Air) - "The word comes from IUGMOS, a shreaking sound. Junges was the name given to the wryneck, a bird noted for its cry. Once more we find the symbolism of the wheel: for ancient witches used to bind the wryneck to a wheel, believing that, as it turned, it drew human hearts along with it."  (http://lionserpent.com/xxvanalysis.html)
- OPISÔ MOU (Behind me the) TELETARChAI (Teletarches) - "For it is the bound of the Paternal Depth, and [Rhea] the Fountain of the Intellectuals...pours forth perpetual Generation upon all things."  (http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/oraclez.htm)
- EPI DEXIA (on my right hand the) SUNOChEIS (Synoches) - "instilleth into the Synoches the enlivening strength of Fire, endued with mighty Power."  (http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/oraclez.htm)
- "Following the intellectual Triad was the Demiurgos, from whom proceeded the Effable and Essential Orders including all sorts of Dæmons, and the Elementary World." (The 4th element from the original 3, also containing itself)  (http://www.esotericarchives.com/oracle/oraclez.htm)
- EPARISTERA (on my left hand the) DAIMONES (Daemones) - Man/Elemental Creatures (Earth)
Observation and Critique--Capella 18:32, 5 Dec 2015 (UTC)
On the Cross Qabalistic
- The Greek QBL ends with the Key Word IAO. In the Lesser Ritual of the Hexagram (LHR), this key word was used with the 5=6 LVX signs. This possibly suggests that this QBL ends with the magician at Tipareth, although, on the other hand, it could just be placing Tipareth at the heart.
- With regard to the closing QBL, can possibly imagine sealing the aura with the contents of the ritual now as part of the aura - similar to the LBRP.
On the Closing God Form
- The last line of the ritual says "and end as thou didst begin."
- It is unclear if this means to repeat the entire opening, or just the Qabalistic Cross.
- It would not, however, be out of line to end peacefully with the sign of silence; however, the banishing cry seems unnecessary at this point in the ritual.
On the Legendary order of Beings (Greek): Iynges, Synoches, Teletarches and Daemones
- This is done from the 5=6 Grade Sign of Osiris Slain. Which suggests that we are possibly standing at Tipareth during this part of the ritual; however, there is other commentary which exists which suggests the magician is at samekh and peh at this time.
On the Elemental Directions - the two versions compared
Please first review the Book of Lies (BoL) versus the Book 4 Liber ABA Magic in Theory and Practice (MTP) versions: [www.ordoaa.org/pdf/l025.pdf]
Directions based upon how the Divine Names are Spoken - If you take the way the Divine Names are said, one could assume they represent the following:
* How Said.........Zodiac....Kerub..Element * Roar.............Lion......Leo....Fire * Bellows..........Taurus....Bull...Earth * Cry/Whisper......Scorpio...Eagle..Water * Say..............Aquarius..Man....Air * raise thy voice..Paian* (http://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Paion.html)....God*...Spirit * Note: Paian is not a Zodiac and God is not a Kerub. However, this is the closest mapping of the correspondence. Paian may also indicate Pan as per Sabazius (http://hermetic.com/sabazius/starruby_rit.htm)'s footnote #5.
Comparison of Ritual Versions - Note that the directions used in the BoL are the same as the Lesser Hexagram Ritual (LHR). Whereas the direction used in MTP are different as follows:
* Direction.........Book of Lies...........MTP * East..............Fire...................Fire * South.............Earth..................Earth * West..............Air....................Water * North.............Water..................Air * Center............Spirit.................Spirit
Tree Of Life Mapping of MTP Version - The later MTP version of the Star Ruby does can the the tree of life at samekh and peh by way of the planets deposited in the macrocosmic sephiroth; however, there is no known note by Crowley that this was his intention. (Refer to Link: Attributing the Elements to the Four Directions in Liber XXV, the Star Ruby", by Sabazius X° below)
* Direction...Element..Planet....Astro....Divine Name * East........Fire.....Sol.......nat/trp..Therion * South.......Earth....Venus.....trp......Hadit * West........Water....Moon......nat......Babylon * North.......Air......Mercury...trp......Nuit (sky goddess) * Center......Spirit...N/A.......N/A......Pan or Paian * Note: trp = triplicity ruler. nat = nature via the qualities (e.g. cold/wet/hot/dry). * See Astrology Note below for more detail.
Astrology Note - This is aside from the fact that the nature of venus is water and mercury earth as derived from the qualities (this is the method commonly used in astrology to determine the elemental nature of the planets), which is not found in 777 and therefore Crowley most likely made use of the triplicities the planets ruled as per the Ptolemy short form which is found in 777 but with the caveat that the moon is representing its watery nature instead of the triplicity it rules which is earth.
Suggested Further Reading for additional critique on elemental directions
- Note: Helpful to compare/contrast with Liber vel Reguli.
- Note: Understanding of N.O.X. may shed additional light.
- Note: The external links give good commentary on the elemental directions of the Star Ruby.
- Attributing the Elements to the Four Directions in Liber XXV, the Star Ruby (http://www.hermetic.com/sabazius/starruby.htm), by Sabazius X°
- An Analysis of the Star Ruby Ritual (http://lionserpent.com/xxvanalysis.html), by Frater A.L.
- Notes on the Star Ruby (http://www.luckymojo.com/esoteric/occultism/magic/ceremonial/hksrubynotes.txt), by Frater H'yitem k-Elohim
- Living Thelema Star Ruby Podcast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-blaxgPhOSM), by David Shoemaker (advocate of BoL ritual version and explains N.O.X. in an interesting way)
- Crowley, Aleister. (1997). Magick: Book 4. 2nd ed. York Beach, Me. : S. Weiser.
- Crowley, Aleister. (1978). The Book of Lies. New York: S. Weiser.